A. Buffers. Development shall provide a buffer adjacent to residential development to the east and west. Such a buffer may consist of the existing wetlands in the north border of this area. See also subsection B of this section.
B. Building Height.
1. Maximum building height shall be 35 feet, but may be increased to 45 feet if both of the following conditions are met:
a. At least 20 percent of the gross floor area of the average story within the building (total building gross floor area divided by the number of stories) is devoted to parking either within or under the building or within a separate parking structure;
b. At least 10 percent of the gross floor area of the average story within the building (total building gross floor area divided by number of stories) is devoted to externally oriented at-grade space for retail uses, eating and drinking establishments, recreation, culture and entertainment uses, personal services, and/or other similar businesses which are characterized by regular and frequent patronage during the course of the normal business day. “Externally oriented” for the purposes of this regulation shall mean having a door opening directly to the outside. This requirement may be reduced or waived by the community development director for individual buildings within multiple-building developments if it can be demonstrated to the satisfaction of the director that the total amount of the above-described space within the development would comprise at least as much space as the combined total of the minimum required amounts of such space for all of the individual buildings in the development.
2. When buildings exceed 35 feet, in accordance with subsection (B)(1) of this section, the mandatory setbacks from, and mandatory landscaping buffers adjacent to, any abutting R zoning (not including combination zones) shall be increased as follows:
a. The mandatory setbacks from any abutting R zoning, as set forth in BMC 12.14.070(D), shall be increased three feet horizontally for each foot of building height exceeding 35 feet. These increased setbacks shall apply to the entire building, rather than only to those portions of the building which may be higher than 35 feet. Where the property zoned R 2,800, OP, NB abuts R zoning along a street, the increased setbacks shall be measured from the street property line of the property zoned R 2,800, OP, NB.
b. The mandatory landscaping buffers adjacent to any abutting R zoning, as set forth in BMC 12.18.110, shall be increased 0.25 feet (three inches) for each foot of building height exceeding 35 feet, up to a maximum of 10 feet of additional landscaping. In such cases, the entire buffer shall consist of Type I landscaping.
C. Site and Building Design. In addition to or in lieu of city-wide site and building design regulations in BMC 12.14.170 through 12.14.230, and city-wide parking, transit and pedestrian circulation design regulations in BMC 12.16.080 through 12.16.120, development shall be subject to the following regulations specific to this zoning district:
1. The threshold for having to provide a community gathering place as described in BMC 12.14.180(E) shall be a development area of one acre or more, rather than the standard five acres; such community gathering spaces shall be located and configured so as to be visible and inviting to the general public but shielded to the maximum extent feasible from freeway and arterial noise;
2. Sidewalks within the public right-of-way shall be a minimum of 10 feet in width; internal sidewalks not solely for use by residents or employees of a development shall be a minimum of eight feet in width;
3. At street crossings, development shall incorporate pedestrian “refuges,” art works, neighborhood information kiosks and/or other devices to provide small-scale visual attractions that incentivize pedestrian and bicycle travel throughout the zoning district, thereby promoting a sense of neighborhood;
4. Pedestrian connections shall be made with adjacent developments to assure an integrated, pedestrian-oriented community.