All development other than single-family residential development shall provide storage space for the collection of recyclables and garbage as follows:
A. The storage space shall be provided at the rate of:
1. Three square feet per dwelling unit in multifamily developments except where the development is participating in a public agency-sponsored or approved direct collection program in which individual recycling bins are used for curbside collection;
2. Four square feet per every 1,000 square feet of building gross floor area in office, educational and institutional developments;
3. Six square feet per every 1,000 square feet of building gross floor area in manufacturing developments and all developments other than those specified in this subsection; and
4. Ten square feet per every 1,000 square feet of building gross floor area in retail developments.
B. The storage space for multifamily residential developments shall be apportioned and located in collection points as follows:
1. The required storage area shall be dispersed among collection points throughout the site when there is more than one building.
2. There shall be a minimum of one collection point for every 30 dwelling units.
3. Collection points may be located within residential buildings, in separate buildings/structures without dwelling units, or outdoors. Outdoor collection points shall not be located in any required setback areas.
4. Collection points located in separate buildings/structures or outdoors shall be no more than 200 feet from a common entrance of a residential building.
5. Collection points shall be located in a manner so that hauling trucks do not obstruct pedestrian traffic on-site or project into any public right-of-way.
C. The storage space for nonresidential development shall be apportioned and located in collection points as follows:
1. Storage space may be allocated to a centralized collection point.
2. Outdoor collection points shall not be located in any required setback areas.
3. Collection points shall be located in a manner so that hauling trucks do not obstruct pedestrian or vehicle traffic on-site, or project into any public right-of-way.
4. Access to collection points may be limited, except during regular business hours and/or specified collection hours.
D. The collection points shall be designed as follows:
1. Dimensions of the collection points shall be of sufficient width and depth to enclose containers for recyclables and garbage. The area enclosed in such collection points shall be in accordance with the storage space requirements set forth in subsection A of this section.
2. Architectural design of any structure enclosing an outdoor collection point or any building primarily used to contain a collection point shall be consistent with the design of the primary structure(s) on the site through all of the following:
a. Similar architectural style;
b. Similar exterior finish materials and colors;
c. Similar architectural details or features.
3. Collection points shall be identified by signs not exceeding two square feet each.
4. A seven-foot wall or fence with a gate or gates shall enclose any outdoor collection point, excluding collection points located in industrial developments that are greater than 100 feet from residentially zoned property and not visible from the street right-of-way.
5. Enclosures for outdoor collection points and buildings used primarily to contain a collection point shall have gate openings at least 12 feet wide for hauling trucks. In addition, the gate opening for any building or other roofed structure used primarily as a collection point shall have a vertical clearance of at least 12 feet. Each enclosure may have more than one gate opening.
6. Weather protection of recyclables shall be ensured by using weather-proof containers or by providing a roof over the storage area.
7. No collection point or container shall be visible from the street right-of-way or adjacent single-family development. The collection point or container shall either be located behind the building or shall be adequately screened with Type I landscaping.
E. Only recyclable materials and garbage generated on-site shall be collected and stored at such collection points. Except for initial sorting of recyclables by users, all other processing of such materials shall be conducted off-site.
F. No container shall be collected and stored at any location on the site except in a designated storage facility.
G. The lids of all garbage and recyclables containers shall be maintained in a closed position. (Ord. 1815 § 1, 2000; Ord. 1798 § 1, 2000. Formerly 12.14.165).